Wedding season is unfurling upon us as fast as a girl madly in love with a fella can say “yes” to his proposal. I have at least three weddings to gladly attend before year’s end, and all three ceremonies will have different degrees of formality, location and style.
As I prepare for my looks for each wedding, I always keep these tips in mind to steer me to the right choices:
- Let the wedding invitation be your guide to perfecting your chic wedding-guest look. Look at the details. If the ceremony is outside during the day, you have many options. A pantsuit is acceptable, of course, but so is a dress or a blouse and pencil skirt. If the wedding is listed as formal and takes place after 5 p.m., then a classic LBD is in order.
- Remember the color charts are ablaze when it comes to wedding-guest attire. Most of the rules have been broken, and I say hurray for that. Black is finally a leading contender as the smart, go-to color for wedding guests. I would definitely refrain from white. Let the bride, of course, and her groom take center stage and rightly bask in the spotlight.
- Think about the length and venue of the wedding when choosing your ensemble. If you’ll be sitting for the ceremony, standing for the reception and dancing after dinner, then be sure pack a pair of elegant ballet flats to change into as the night goes on. Likewise, if you’re going to be in an air-conditioned chapel and then outside on a sunny afternoon for the reception, prepare for temperature changes with a sophisticated wrap, bolero or shrug.
- Make a signature statement with a stunning cuff bracelet, a pair of Italian shoes that say “I know fashion,” or carry a clutch that effortlessly transports style … along with your lipstick and cellphone. Although this is the time for the bride to brilliantly shine, there is no need to be a wallflower. Be unforgettable. You never know who you will meet at a wedding.
- Make an salon appointment to have your hair and makeup professionally done before the big event. Moniqua’s son recently married, and she said having her beauty needs attended to by the pros made the day much more relaxed. Best of all, she felt and looked pretty and polished for the photo shoots.
- On that note, rely on the personal stylists at Get Dressed! Boutique to help you organize your wedding-guest attire. Please stop by and the GDB Girls will happily make suggestions and help you coordinate your look.